Sunday, July 10, 2011

I survied the Harry Potter Movie Marathon...


(**Spoiler Alert: elements of part II of the Deathly Hallows will be discussed – including character deaths**)



I have survived the Harry Potter Movie Marathon.

Starting at 7am, two of my equally obsessed friends and I (we traveled to the HP park together last October together) began our journey of watching all of the Harry Potter movies back to back in order to prepare for the FINAL MOVIE, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II, that opens July 15, 2011 at 00:01. 

For those wondering how long all of the movies are together without watching the credits, I can now give you the final answer:

18 Hours

My only complaint? I got sore from lying around for so long! Haha!

Now, it requires some dedication (and perhaps some insanity) to watch a series of movies for 18 hours straight, but I feel that I am now in a proper mindset for the movie series to complete later this week.  By proper mindset I don’t particularly mean that I am ready for it to end… just more prepared. 

Some people looking in from the outside wonder how people can get so intertwined with a series of books. Well, for starters, there are 7 books out there with some of them reaching the 700-800 page mark. If you actually read the books, it is hard not to become enamored with the characters and the story. With the exemplary attention to detail and the ability to craft such an extensive story, you feel that you might have actually been part of the story itself. It’s that sense of ownership that almost forces you to see the series through - even after the books have ended. 

Although I am “excited” to see the final half of the book make it to the big screen, there is a sense of finality of watching something on the screen versus reading it – the idea that the ending will now have “really happened.” 

We will see Harry Potter make the decision that for Voldemort to become mortal and subsequently be killed, Harry must allow Voldemort kill him. The Weasley twins, who never parted each other’s sides, will now be separated by death. Teddy (the son of Tonks and Lupin) will become an orphan. And most importantly, the death of  Snape, a character who does not live to see his name truly vindicated and be known as the hero that he had deserved to be.

The Harry Potter series has been a part of my life for eight years and it will be hard to let it go. I’ve got four more days (from midnight tonight).

No comments: