Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"When I was growing up, we didn’t have Facebook – we had phone book, but you wouldn’t waste an afternoon on it..."



Happy Web Video Wednesday!!

Today I wish to post a few videos from Saturday Night Live (SNL) this weekend. Justin and I are regular watchers of SNL, but we were super excited to watch this week’s host: Betty White. Caught in a whirlwind of fandom by young adults around the nation, this 88 year old was asked to be a host on SNL due to a Facebook petition that attracted thousands of members. Did I personally think it was going to happen when I heard about it in January? No… There are so many petitions about EVERYTHING on facebook.

But then again, It is Betty White.

What did Betty White think about this Facebook petition? During her monologue, she answered this question perfectly. “I really have to thank Facebook… I didn’t know what Facebook was, and now that I do know what it is, it sounds like a big waste of time.” “Needless to say when I was growing up, we didn’t have Facebook – we had phone book, but you wouldn’t waste an afternoon on it.” “But Facebook is a great way to connect with old friends, they tell me. Well at my age if I want to connect with old friends, I need a ouiji board.”

In more skits than many of SNL’s hosts, Betty was on point with all of the jokes/punch lines. Over exaggerating the stereotypes of octogenarians in many of her skits, she was hilarious and had a certain spark about her. Some websites felt that she was too vulgar – yet watch SNL on a regular basis, and that is the direction the show tends to navigate towards.


SNL gained its largest audience in over a year and a half, and it was all because of Betty White.

Below I have included some of my favorite sketches she was in as well as her monologue.

Enjoy!







No comments: